Monday, November 8, 2010

Change for Animals: Malawi's Pizza Project- Restaurant Review


Change for Animals: Malawi's Pizza Project- Restaurant Review: "As a vegan, the strife and craving for pizza is sometime insatiable, especially with so few options in Utah Valley. Sure, you can order from a few select pizza chains, but there is usually something to be said for the scant toppings on a pizza with no cheese. In attempt to find a solution to this problem, this week I visited the new pizza place in Provo called Malawi's Pizza Project. I checked in advance to see if their crust is vegan and to my delight, it is.

Though the decor might suggest grazing in the African Savannah, the food boasts a healthy Italian flare and open kitchen, so you know just how your food is being prepared. The pizzas are listed as individual or personal sized, but at 10", could easily be split between 2 people. I ordered the veggie pizza with no cheese, which came loaded sky high with a delicious garlic-y red sauce, zucchini, squash, onions, mushrooms, and peppers. I also added artichokes for a mere .50. Though the thin, crispy dough might have left a little to be desired in the flavor area, I had no complaints due to the pile of toppings that covered it.

For under $10, you can order one of their specialty pizzas or create your own by choosing a sauce, dough and toppings. They have a variety of options from the ordinary choices to things a little more on the obscure side like toasted pine nuts and asparagus. They also offer a variety of healthy and delicious salad or pasta options (as well as desserts) for both the vegan, veg, or meat eating crowd. My dining buddies ordered a chicken pesto pasta that, they raved, was one of the best they had tried.

Meals range from about $7-$15 and the concept behind this new pizza joint is pretty awesome as well- they donate healthy meals to African orphans in Malawi. The restaurant does not have a website, so details of the menu or how the donation process/percent etc. are not available at this time unfortunately, nor can I add mouthwatering photos to convince you to try Malawi's, but I definitely recommend trying it yourself.

Malawi's Pizza Project is located in The Shops at Riverwoods in the old Magleby's building- right behind Macaroni Grill. Here is the address and phone number- 4801 N University Ave, Provo, UT 801-225-2800."

2 comments:

  1. Sweet. I was looking for a place with vegan options and saw your ad on a bus. Figured you might have some and I was in luck! I'll be coming later this afternoon with my girlfriend and grandparents BECAUSE you guys are vegan friendly. Thank you for catering to a wider customer base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed they ordered it without cheese, but I've heard that Malawi's offers Daiya, dairy-free, cheese. I've been a fan for Malawi's for a while, but just made the switch from Vegetarian to full-on Vegan. I'm glad I can still enjoy one of my favorite restaurants!

    ReplyDelete